Sunday, March 29, 2009

Review: I Love You, Man



I used to dread the thought of Hollywood taking yet another stab at the buddy picture.

You know, over the last 30 or 40 years we got the good cop/bad cop movie, then it was black cop/white cop, then old cop/new cop. When the two-cop flicks started to bore people, studios moved on to other non-cop buddy combos: obnoxious/meek buddies, cool/geeky buddies, gay/straight buddies, successful/unsuccessful buddies. They used up all those buddy types too.

Thankfully, every year or two a few deft filmmakers figure out a formula for a buddy picture that crackles with a bit of originality. The crude but hilarious "Wedding Crashers" (2005) is an example of a tandem (Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson) that clicked mightily with viewers and reviewers. As serial wedding crashers in their mid-30s who eventually start to question the wisdom (and long-term viability) of their lifestyle, the buddies do get into their share of disagreements. But the movie didn't dwell on the two guys' differences. There weren't that many, in fact. As raunchy as the movie got at times, it actually dealt with the topic of growing up - and, to a lesser extent, falling in love.

Now there's another fine buddy picture in theatres, and I'd say it has just as intriguing a concept.

"I Love You, Man" is about a real estate agent named Peter Klaven who proposes to his girlfriend Zooey (Rashida Jones) but quickly discovers he has no male friends to speak of, and likely won't have time to rustle up a best man before his wedding. Paul Rudd plays the sensitive but clueless, metrosexual Klaven, whose attempts to track down a friend through a series of "man dates" service the amusing premise of "I Love You, Man."

It's co-written and directed by John Hamburg, who also helmed and wrote the Ben Stiller comedy "Along Came Polly" (2004) and co-wrote Stiller's "Meet the Parents"(2000) and its sequel. It's a joyful romp, mainly because Rudd is so believable - and so awkwardly funny. He doesn't get his laughs via the typical channels, ie: glib one-liners or broad slapstick. He earns them through a seemingly endless string of verbal missteps and some delicious - for those who like this kind of thing - cringe-inducing dweebiness. His tendency to embarrass himself in almost every situation involving other men makes you wonder how he's risen as far as he has in his real estate career.

As the movie poster will tell you, Jason Segel plays the man date who just may be the one to click with Peter. Segel's Sydney Fife is an easygoing bear of a man, without pretence, who loves the Canadian band Rush, his dog, and living near the beach. Will Sydney see through Peter's ineptitude and embrace his friendship in time for the wedding? I hope you'll go and find out.

The thing I liked most about "I Love You, Man" was its commitment to its stated goal, which was to explore the phenomenon of "bromantic love" (the studio's term, not mine - unfortunately)." Also, I respect Hamburg for not letting it devolve into a typical boy-messes-up-and-apologizes-to-the-girl-just-in-time romantic comedy. In the process of making me laugh, it got me thinking about what it takes to find, hold and keep a man friend. And it showed me it's a lot more difficult than you might think, especially when time is tight.

"I Love You, Man" is not up to the same level of "The Wedding Crashers," but it's an entertaining, occasionally hilarious film. It also reinforces the notion (begun last year with the comedy "Role Models") that Paul Rudd is a terrific comedic leading man, not just a supporting player. Best of all, "I Love You, Man" bucks the odds and resurects the tired, old buddy picture. And that's definitely something to celebrate.


****stars (out of five)

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Mae said...

I like your observations about the "buddy movies." I had never considered them before but you are so right (good cop/bad cop, black cop/white cop, etc.)! I seem to recall a lot of that taking place in the 80's, and with Eddie Murphy at the helm! If I had time to go to the movies I would check out "I Love You Man." As with everything, it will likely be a rental.

March 31, 2009 at 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like both of these actors and wondered what the movie might be like. I was already cringing for Paul Rudd in the previews. I don't have a stomach for the cringe factor. Hence why I never stuck it out with The Office. g.

March 31, 2009 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah its about time that Paul Rudd finally got a leading role - I've loved him since Baz Lurhman's Romeo & Juliet . . plus if you're a true fan, check him out in "I Could Never Be Your Woman" . .a recent romantic-comedy starring Rudd and Michelle Pfeffier that unfortunately went straight to video - Rudd is so terminally adorable in every film he's in!

I look forward to seeing I Love You Man . .there's also a funny cover story on Rudd in last week's Entertainment Weekly . . .

March 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Melly said...

One thing I forgot to mention in the review was that the movie had a bit of gross-out humour and there were some crude bits. However, g, there the cringe level was nowhere near the level you'd feel watching the Office - either the original or the US version.

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Melly said...

Mary, I did read that Rudd story and I'd heard about "I Could Never Be Your Woman." I'll check that one out.
I also recommend "Diggers" for a dramatic - though not really lead - performance from Rudd. Maybe you've seen it.

April 3, 2009 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No, never heard of "Diggers" - I must check that one out . .Thanks!

But I don't know if I can take Rudd seriously . . .kinda reminds me of Ryan Reynolds - even when they sport straight faces, I always expect both guys to break out into laughter after a few seconds (or a say a funny line) . .but will check the film out. Thanks.

April 4, 2009 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Mr. Jackson said...

Great review! I will definitely have to check it out...Role Models too. I loved Rudd in Knocked Up and Clueless as well.

April 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home